Re: [ceph-users] keyvaluestore backend metadata overhead

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> As for active write, why do you think it there only one active write
>>> in keyvaluestore threads? I just check runtime perf data again, it
>>> looks fine that multi write can do concurrently submit transaction.
>
> You can simply calculate the sum of submit_transaction_sync consuming
> time, it would be the multiple of the op thread number.

I've instrumented submit_transaction to tick up/down an atomic
counter.  While in certain situations (resource-constrained VM; OSD
startup), I do see up to "keyvaluestore op threads" number of
concurrent transaction submits reported by this counter, on real
hardware, during `rados bench` with 2700-byte objects, I never see
more than 3 concurrent submits; on average, I see 2.  I don't know the
OSD's internals well enough to speculate on the cause, but it's worth
noting that the OSD processes consume a lot of CPU (170%+) during
these benchmarks (compared to 14% for 1 MiB objects).

We'll keep experimenting, but we're definitely excited of the
possibility of reducing metadata overhead