Re: [ceph-users] keyvaluestore backend metadata overhead

Hi Haomai,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For metadata overhead, we need to resolve it at upper level,
> keyvaluestore won't add extra metadata in normal io except rarely
> header save which only update when header changed.

Unfortunately, our write workload is dominated by object creates.

> As for active write, why do you think it there only one active write
> in keyvaluestore threads? I just check runtime perf data again, it
> looks fine that multi write can do concurrently submit transaction.

We've implemented a MySQL backend for KeyValueDB in the hopes of
getting better performance than LevelDB (what we're currently seeing
is on par).  Internally, it uses a LIFO connection pool, from which
connections are leased for the duration of a transaction commit or
snapshot walk (to permit concurrent transactions).  Watching the
connection activity in MySQL using "SHOW PROCESSLIST", during most
runs, it's clear that, for the duration of the write benchmark, all
but two of the connections remain idle.  (During cleanup, I do see
more connections used, and I have on occasion seen more used during
writes.)  So while it's possible the transactions are being built
concurrently, they aren't (or are with a very low probability) being
submitted (via submit_transaction_sync()) concurrently.

(It's entirely possible that a bug in our code, or misdocumented
behavior in the MySQL client, excludes concurrent threads from using
open MySQL connections, but I *have* seen concurrent transaction
commits, only rarely.)

You mention "runtime perf data", is there a simple way to query the
OSD's idea of how many concurrent transaction submits it is issuing?
In the meantime I'll instrument our backend to track this value
itself.

Thanks!