Re: Debian packaging question

On Dec 11, 2012, at 2:06 AM, James Page wrote:

>> Thanks Wido.  We're using pbuilder, but it looks like it has
>> similar options, or can pass an option string to dpkg_buildpackage.
>> I'll do some testing.
>
> "--binary-arch" will limit a pbuilder build to the target binary
> architecture only; I would recommend you use this with the amd64 build
> and build the arch: all packages out of the i386 build; this is what
> happens in the official Ubuntu builders.

Hi James,

I thought this was going to be the easy solution, but on running a quick test, we are already calling pbuilder with the --binary-arch option and it its building the java package anyway.    It looks like there is a deeper issue in that we building the java package in the default target.  It looks like for this to work, we need to move the java library build to it's own target in the Makefile, and build that target from the binary-indep target in the debian rules file.   Does this sound like I'm on the right track ?

Thanks,
Gary

 It looks like for this to work, we need to have architecture specific and independent targets in both the debian rules file and the Makefiles.