Re: Crush and Monitor questions

Sorry, I misread the Hardware Configuration section of the Ceph documentation. I thought one of the Dell's was a configuration for the monitors but both of the Dell R510 and R515 are OSD configuration.

I had another question on the monitors though. What kind of load (requests/second) can a monitor node handle? My understanding is that it just returns the cluster map to the client requesting it? The documentation mentions 3 to 5 monitors in a ceph cluster but what is the request rate expected on each of these monitors?

thanks.
Bryant

Bryant Ng wrote:
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Ceph and am just learning about it.

Where are the CRUSH maps stored in Ceph? In the documentation I see you
use the 'crushtool' to compile and decompile the crush map.  I
understand that if a single monitor comes online, it can talk to the
other existing monitors to get the cluster map but how does it work on
initial startup?  Or if the entire Ceph clusters goes down b/c of power
failure or something.

What is the recommended hardware configuration for monitors?  In the
Hardware Recommendation page it says "A monitor requires approximately
10GB of storage space per daemon instance."  per daemon instance is
talking about the monitor daemon, not the osd daemons?

Also further down on that page, it list some hardware examples where it
mentions a ligher configuration for monitors.  I am assuming that is the
Dell PE R510 which contains 8 x 2 TB drives.  Why does the monitor need
so much space if it's "10GB of storage space per daemon instance".

-Bryant