Re: packaging for ceph-gui

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 16:32 -0500, Colin McCabe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Laszlo Boszormenyi <gcs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  I've a question. gceph needs everything noted in debian/ceph.install
> > (cephfs, cconf, ... the rados classes and manpages), right? The best
> > would be to make a ceph-common package, depending on ceph | gceph and
> > the latter packages would contain only the binaries ceph and gceph
> > respectively. Am I right?
>
> Yeah. gceph should be a separate, optional package. If you install
> gceph, you definitely want the rest of the ceph system, but not vice
> versa.
 Do you mean that installing gceph, the CLI ceph is also needed?

> I'm not sure if it makes sense to split off the command-line ceph tool
> from the rest of the ceph binaries. It's not a lot of code, and it is
> a handy little binary. I guess potentially we could do it if it makes
> the packaging cleaner.
 OK, play with letters. 'A' will mean cephfs via rados classes to
manpages; with the package name ceph-common. 'B' will mean the ceph
binary and its manpage. 'C' is for gceph and its manpage (if any).
(A+B) <-> (A+C) definitely a no go, as they would need to conflict with
  each other.
A - B - C can be a choice, even if B and C will be small in size.
(A+B) - C is an other option, this time C will depend on (A+B).

Either of the two latter is fine with me. I'd go A-B-C if gceph is fine
without the ceph binary. Otherwise (A+B)-C is the only option as I see.
It's up to you, upstream which one would be the best. Reading your last
reply, you would like to have (A+B)-C as C depending on (A+B), right?

Laszlo/GCS