Re: DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

I do think that I have hit upon an issue.  The WINS data for samba is kept in /var/cache/samba.dat but it is updated dynamically with nmdb.  It has dated data.  When I moved the server I changed the server name slightly and so the WINS data points to the old name at the current IP.  In fact with this network rebuild I changed most of my computer names and they are all incorrect.  I think I need to shut down all three instances of samba clear the wins data and then start them all again so that they populate from scratch.

Correction to that.  Only the WINS server has data in this location.