Re: DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

a 'network' is 192.168.x assuming that you are using class C subnet
masks (255.255.255.0) and so you should have a WINS server on EACH
network (192.168.4, 192.168.5, 192.168.6, etc.)

Cross network browsing is somewhat of a hit or miss and not reliable...
for a number of reasons such as the default firewall settings for
Windows systems will only allow network traffic to the immediate network
that it is on (i.e. 192.168.6)

The important thing is to get the WINS working on EACH network. It's
also easiest to have your PDC be the WINS server - period.

Also, a PDC must necessarily have...

domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logins = yes
security = user

Craig

I agree that preferred master should have been set to yes.  I made that change with but still no joy.

I don't mean to be contrary but our cross subnet browsing has been working since 2003 when we set up this network.  It has been very reliable and I depend on it to work.  And I believe it is because of have our WINS servers the way that they are.

I do think that I have hit upon an issue.  The WINS data for samba is kept in /var/cache/samba.dat but it is updated dynamically with nmdb.  It has dated data.  When I moved the server I changed the server name slightly and so the WINS data points to the old name at the current IP.  In fact with this network rebuild I changed most of my computer names and they are all incorrect.  I think I need to shut down all three instances of samba clear the wins data and then start them all again so that they populate from scratch.

Doug