Re: Firefox 3

Niki Kovacs wrote:
Hi,

I just read the release announcement for RHEL 5.2beta:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-announce/2008-March/msg00000.html

And something caught my eye:

--8<-----------------------------------------
* Laptop and Desktop Enhancement
  + Suspend and Hibernate improvements
  + Re-base of the top Desktop applications
    - Evolution 2.12.3
    - Firefox 3
    - OpenOffice 2.3.0
    - Thunderbird 2.0
  + Updated graphics drivers
--8<-----------------------------------------

I see that the folks from Red Hat decided to completely ignore Firefox 2.0: an eloquent detail.

Now it's more than once that I've read good things about Firefox 3. Much less RAM-hungry than it's predecessors, excellent standards compliance, much more stable. What's the best way to get Firefox 3 on my CentOS 5.1? Is there some RPM for RHEL somewhere? Some SRPM? Or simply wait patiently for CentOS 5.2?

Aside: I use XFCE, not GNOME, so I don't have to go through the chore of updating some core GNOME components (like Yelp).

This implementation changes the way pango, cario, and a new thing called xul-runner interact with several gnome things ... it is also tied to a newer version of nss ... which requires other system components to be rebuilt.

I would not recommend trying to build the RHEL one and rolling it into CentOS without all the changes.

However, it would be very easy to grab the binary one from the mozilla website and put it in a separate directory on you current centos-5.

This still a ways off ... May 7 is the end of the beta period from Red Hat ... so expect a release from them with rolled in fixes about Mid June and CentOS around the first week in July.

Here is a table of previous releases:

Version	  Beta		Beta End	  GA		CentOS
4.0	11/08/04			02/15/05	02/28/05
4.1	04/08/05	05/18/05	06/09/05	06/17/05