Re: Firefox 3

Johnny Hughes a écrit :

This implementation changes the way pango, cario, and a new thing called xul-runner interact with several gnome things ... it is also tied to a newer version of nss ... which requires other system components to be rebuilt.

I gave it a go anyway, and the result is very convincing. I grabbed an SRPM from FC8, and here's the results:

BuildRequires: hunspell(-devel), xulrunner(-devel), xulrunner-devel-unstable.

Requires: hunspell, xulrunner.

I'm using XFCE, not GNOME, so it didn't get more complicated than that.

The only thing I had to adjust was commenting every occurrence of Fedora's system-bookmarks package, which is both a build and install requirement, in firefox3.spec.

I have a personal checklist of unnerving bugs for Firefox 1.5.x, Firefox 2.x, Seamonkey 1.1.x and Opera, which more or less forced me to install at least two web browsers (Seamonkey and Opera) to be able to use all my favourite web sites and web apps. Things like writing a very long page in a SPIP interface, launching a video on Youtube and immediately pressing the Back button, visiting the badly scripted site of the French employment agency, and so on.

Firefox 3.0beta passes all these tests without any single crash or other misbehaviour, so I just adopted it and got rid of the other browsers. Guess I'll install it on our production machines this week.

Funny thing: the development version isn't called Firefox, but Minefield, as a reminder of the "beta" quality of the software. The Firefox developers have a nice sense of humor. Check out what you see when you click on the "About" menu item:

http://www.kikinovak.net/images/minefield.png

Cheers,

Niki