clarifications

Hello all,

I've been trying to get spamassassin and clamav working, but got really confused when I realized there are various incarnations of the software. Originally, I started out with just spamassassin, but learned there is also an SA-milter. Can someone tell me which of the various spam fighting packages i.e., sa, sa-milter, clamav, clamave-milter, and so forth? I ran into problems with one package with the system not being able to open a socket, so I just gave up. I hope I'm not too vague here, but essentially, I just would like to know what the milter part does, and if that's the way to go, or the non-milter versions. I'm subscribed via digest, and if it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate a cc direct to me. Many thanks..

Sam