Re: SFTP error (perhaps due not to using passive mode?)

'ftps' is kind of an orphan, I don't believe there's actually any sort
of RFC or spec for it.   pretty much everything I've seen uses
sftp/scp/ssh instead

Forgive me, but i simply don't understand that statement. Both SFTP and FTPS are very much alive and well in the real world. Each has it's strengths depending on implementation requirements. Not everyone wants users to have shell access, regardless of how controlled that shell may be.

For the owner of this thread:
Yes. LFTP is the command line client you want to use for FTPS. For the Linux GUI, look at Filezilla. There are several Windows clients available.