Re: Centos as a desktop, advisable?

On 26/07/07 17:57 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
If I choose this path, can it be automatically done using yum with local
repository? what about existing data/settings/custom apps/etc? anyone has
real experiences on upgrading OS?

You really want apt and deb based distros like ubuntu if you want to go this route.

Are you saying that upgrading Centos is not advisable/reliable path and
Ubuntu is better in this area?

(pls, im not trying to start flame, pardon my ignorance :)

Personally, I never upgrade the OS. I simply install the fresh one, but its
fine on my laptop, not for my clients.

Use images then if all your 400 workstations are identical.

Yes, previously I just clone the HD, but thats ok only for new install, not
preserving the data/user settings.

I'm willing to go to every clients at first install if needed, but not every year or so
for maintenance. I need setup and forget setup :-p

Thanks!

--beast