Re: Centos as a desktop, advisable?

On 26/07/07 11:21 +0700, beast wrote:
CentOS 5.0 as the base, but OpenOffice repo, Firefox repo and
possibly Gnome or KDE repo to keep primary office applications
current.

I'm confused here. Suppose in the next 3 year the latest OO version is 3.1.1,
today OO in Centos5 is 2.0.4, will it get updated to version 3.x or still
using 2.x?

It seems not. Updates directory in Centos 3 still contains OOv1.1.2 only.
So, what is the meaning of "supported for 5 years"? is it only for bug and
security fixes, not features or enhancements?

Suppose in the next year, standard interface for harddisk is WATA (wireless ATA
:), will it be added in Centos5?

Sorry for asking such questions, i just reaaly want to know here :)

or better just upgrade to Centos7 which has OOv3.1?

If I choose this path, can it be automatically done using yum with local
repository? what about existing data/settings/custom apps/etc? anyone has
real experiences on upgrading OS?

Personally, I never upgrade the OS. I simply install the fresh one, but its
fine on my laptop, not for my clients.

Thanks!

--beast