Re: software raid

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

There is one advantage of hardware RAID that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's hot-swap. Last time I tried, software RAID fell over when a HDD suddenly disappeared.

That is my understanding too. Perhaps I'm just lazy, but I like being able to just plug all the drives into the controller and have everything just work. I am not saying software RAID is bad, but I just don't have the time to fiddle with it anymore when a cheap and stable hardware RAID card is readily available and is well supported with "out of the box" kernels.
Cheers,