Re: software raid

chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

You know, the whole "disk is cheap, so why use RAID5?" argument just doesn't wash with me. Sure, disk *is* cheap. But some of us need every GB we can get for our money (well, given I'm spending grant money, it's actually *your* money too (if you live in the US)).

To demonstrate, let's look at a 24 drive system (3ware has a 24 port 9650 board). Newegg has 500GB WD RE2 drives for $160. So for $3840 in drives I can get:

a) 6TB RAID10 => $0.64/GB

or

b) 10.5TB RAID6 w/ hot spare => $0.37/GB

Umm, I'll take 75% more space for the same money, TYVM.

did those prices factor in the drive bay infrastructure for 24 drives with cabling, redundant power supplies, etc?

c)  12TB RAID0 w/no redundancy =>  $0.32/GB

When my scratch data increases in importance, I'll have to investigate that new fangled RAID 6 thang. :) Does RAID6 suffer from this performance degradation bogey man when used with ext3? Isn't RAID6 just RAID5 with a redundant parity stripe across the drives?

btw, I would NOT build a 20-something raid5/6 set. the rebuild times would be massively slow, opening a large window for double drive failure. Before you say 'nah, would never happen', check out phpbb.com, they lost their web server and forums to a double failure last month, and yes, they had a hotspare so the rebuild started immediately.

The large SAN vendors usually don't recommend building raid5 sets larger than 6-8 disks, and will stripe or concatenate multiple of those on the typical SAN with 100s of spindles. Myself, I'll stick with RAID10 for anything critical.