Re: software raid

chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Feizhou wrote:
William Warren wrote:
as soon as you goto software raid 5 you'll get a good performance hit. Head for the hardware raid cards then. You can get the 3ware ide cards for 150 or less now.

don't know if it is still the case but ext3 + 3ware + ext3 = ultra slow. you'd want to use XFS or some other filesystem...

argh...i missed the raid5 on 3ware part.

I keep hearing about this "slowness" thing. Here is a bonnie++ run on one of my spare machines. This particular machine is also running 4 copies of Folding@Home in the background during the test. The array being tested is on a 3Ware 9550 card with 8 500gig barracudas. The filesystem is a standard ext3 filesystem with zero tweaks. It doesn't appear that slow to me, but perhaps I'm just easy to please.

<shrug> You are free to not believe or to believe. Maybe the latest Centos 4 kernel has a fix or something but ext3 + 3ware raid5 = slow while XFS would fly. Are your 8 500GB configured in raid5 or raid10? If it is raid10, then yes, it will fly. You switch to raid5 however and you will experience a slow down. This is not limited to 3ware boards lower than 95xx which suffer from lack of onboard memory to make things fly.