Re: [CentOS] yum vs up2date

chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

If you read my earlier posts, you might have noticed terms like "download limits."

Most users don't have "all you can eat" plans, and if they exceed their quota they can be charged extra ($60-120 per gigabyte) or br throttled back to modemesque speeds.

What on Earth does that have to do with anything? You've got poor connectivity or expensive connectivity or both in the "last mile" part of your link to the Internet. How is changing the mirroring system going to help you or others like you?

You haven't shown how the mirroring system find a good mirror, and the evidence Johnny gave shows it doesn't.

There _are_ good mirrors, I wasted some time perusing broadband plans and found another (only has I32 and AMD-64, but finding zSeries was a surprise).

Your mirror system doesn't show them to users, and that's a problem to those users whom it costs.

_I_ think Debian handles mirrors pretty well, it lets me specify country and gives me a choice, and the names I see mean something.

Those Centos names might mean something to someone, but from here they just looked like someone chose random (or maybe consecutive) letters to differentiate their names. When I believed they are Australian, I tried to match them to Australian localities, but failed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait