Re: [CentOS] yum vs up2date

John Summerfield wrote:
chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Who cares? When I think of "local" in terms of an update mirror, all I care about is latency (less so) and bandwidth (more so)...the fact that a particular host is located in Perth or Ulan Bator or Los Angeles really isn't important to me. Getting the bits from point A to point B in the quickest and most reliable fashion IS important. I don't understand why you're so hung up on server location as physical geography is becoming less and less relevant as the world becomes more and more wired.

If you read my earlier posts, you might have noticed terms like "download limits."

Most users don't have "all you can eat" plans, and if they exceed their quota they can be charged extra ($60-120 per gigabyte) or br throttled back to modemesque speeds.

What on Earth does that have to do with anything? You've got poor connectivity or expensive connectivity or both in the "last mile" part of your link to the Internet. How is changing the mirroring system going to help you or others like you?