Re: [CentOS] yum vs up2date

Johnny Hughes wrote:

We need a plugin for that ... can someone figure out a plugin that will
take the rpm and figure out the SRPM, and download it.  We would need to
also include where the downloaded SRPMS go (maybe a location defined in
the plugin.conf file).

If you have the actual rpm, finding the source is trivial. If not, you can't unless the metadata has the info.

Up2date also can not use the mirrorlist option which provides 10 GeoIP
based mirrors that failover based on (if you install the fastestmirror
plugin) speed.

I really don't like the mirror list I've seen in Fedora Core. It pulls stuff from all over, Europe, Middle East - mostly, it seems, about as far away from Western Australia as possible.

CentOS shared our mirrorlist program with the Fedora Developers.  Fedora
is reworking (or just reworked) their mirrorlist select program to
include GeoIP data.  Their new program is not DIRECTLY based on ours
(and I think theirs is python ... ours is perl), however our design and
concept did influence it.

That is why I stressed GeoIP and the fastestmirror plugin.  You will get

I don't see how "fastest mirror" can be evaluated usefully. If you have a gigabit Internet connexion, and I have 1500 ADSL or (worse) 256 ADSL or (worse again) a modem (Telstra doesn't do ADSL to my house), I don't see how software could determine that I should use poledra.it.net.au (should it be one of your mirrors) which it really should; it's local, it's on WAIX (as is my IAP), even if it's slower.

close mirrors and they will be timed so you get the one that responds
the fastest to your individual computer the day that you run it.

If I use scp to copy a file across my LAN, the speed varies for no reason I can see, and that has no more than four switches and a router in the path, none very busy.

I'm sceptical that a 30-second test means anything all in the context of downloading a DVD.

To see the Australia mirrors, do this:

http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=4&arch=i386&cc=au&repo=updates

Charming!

I'm in Perth. Here's what I see:
http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/CentOS/4.4/updates/i386/
http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/linux/CentOS/4.4/updates/i386/
ftp://ftp.oss.eznetsols.org/linux/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://mirror.averse.net/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://centost.centos.org/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://centosh.centos.org/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://centose.centos.org/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://centosf.centos.org/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://centosl.centos.org/centos/4.4/updates/i386/
http://centosq.centos.org/centos/4.4/updates/i386/

I'm in Perth.
Pacific's in Melbourne.
Monash is Melbourne, I used to live nearish it.
eznetsols I've not heard of so it's likely over east. No, I checked, it's Singapore.
Ditto Eversnet.

As for those centos{x} names, qui sais? If you could agree on names that mean something to users, or use cnames

Just for the hell of it, I'm testing some:
I have Netherlands, Clifton Park NY, Washington DC, and some others that timed out or are obviously US.

Not one that's obviously good.

A bit of geography for you: Perth is the most isolated major city in the world, the nearest other major city is Adelaide, and that's hours by air, days by road or rail. I think the next closest cities are in Singaport, Malaysia and Indonesia. Certainly, Jakarta is closer than Melbourne or Sydney.

Maps don't convey some information well; we have Poms arrive in Australia who didn't comprehend our distances until they arrive. Western Australia is similar in size to Europe: a same-scale map of WA overlaid on Europe takes in London and Moscow.

A mirror not in Perth isn't local. So far as our wallets go, none of those mirrors is good.

And, planetmirror which I do use, though it's in Brisbane (it's my fallback when what I want's not local) does have Centos and is not listed.

You do not have to specify cc= as it will be based on the IP Address of
the connecting computer, but if you do specify it, it will override the
default detection.

I prefer the Debian approach; I choose a mirror. In Australia, IAPs commonly have a peering arrangement; content from within the peer network isn't charge against download limits. While (AFAIK) all members of WAIX (the local peer network) are in WA, not all IAPs in WA are members.

Well ... what if that mirror is not updated yet.  The other advantage of
the mirrorlist system is that only UPDATED mirrors are shown.  If a
mirror does not get updates, it will not show up on the list.  When it
does not have the same content as master, it is removed and mirrors are
checked at least once an hour.

It's a while since I checked ADSL plans here, but it used to be the case that if one overran one's download limit, there was a $60-$120 surcharge per gigabyte. Alternatively, one's speed is throttled from 1500 (or more with ADSL2) to 64K. Or less.

I'd rather a less current mirror.

Up2date does not have protectbase or priorities capability.

You didn't mention these ... and they allow you to add 3rd party repos
and still protect your base so you don't update items in core ... but
you can update other stuff.

It's not a feature that seems important to _me_. More likely, I'll want the source.

As I mentioned elsewhere, installed 4.3 just before 4.4 came out. I'd uch rather have downloaded the packages overnight (triggered by cron) than type the commands in through my modem line.

Run yum via cron ... it can be turned on to do just that via this
command:

chkconfig yum on

The best I can figure is that downloads and applies updates. That's not what I want; the idea of surrendering control of my system to you bothers me.

It looks to me that that upgrade procedure could have produced the recent yum/sqllite problem.

I want to know what updates are to be applied, and I want them ready to apply. In Debian, I have this with apt-get, which downloads from a mirror I chose when I installed it, lists the updated available, and its run at a time of my choosing.

If I choose, I can exclude and update, and because I see the list before it happens, I know what's changed and when.

Unless I have a "senior moment," but that's another matter.

GUIs aren't very good through modems.

Lastly ... in RHEL5Beta1 ... there is no up2date ... there is yum-2.9.x.

I guess the battle's over then; I'm downloading that atm (at work), so I'll see what Centos5 might have.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait