Re: [CentOS] yum vs up2date

Paul wrote:
On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:35 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Paul wrote:

FC5 broken?
Funny I use it every day as a desktop.

I run twelve virtual consoles, and often work through ssh even when in the same room.

I want mount points created when I plug in a USB disk. I don't want it mounted, and I especially don't want it open on the desktop (which I might not be looking at).

<SNIP>

It's worse for optical media (but SUSE has that wrong too). on Windows, a CD or DVD is always d: or e: or whatever for that particular configuration. Until recently, on Linux it was always /cdrom (Debian) or /mnt/cdrom (RHL) or similar, then /media/cdrom. Now it's /media/<columelabel>.

I don't see any way that's better than /media/cdrom, or what the mount point's got to do wuth the representation on the user's desktop.

OK I see where your coming from, though I would not say it's "broken",
it is a change of behavior from what went before.  I think FC3 had that
behavior also and I expect RHEL5 will probably also have it.  It was a
design decision to reflect what new desktop users coming from
Windows/Mac would expect.

I use Windows and Macs too. What matters to the desktop user is the desktop label, not where the thing's mounted. Mostly, I use those because I'm paid to; I think Apple's got it wrong too, but I'd rather use Linux.

FC3 could be twisted into shape, I did so. It (like Centos4) creates the mount point; FC5 does not. On CentOS4 I have to use sudo (because I'm not local), but at least the mount point's consistent.

I just read on another list that .{gov,mil} sites are forbidden to run X unless they're serving X. I don't see why, turning off desktops on Windows and Macs isn't trivial, but if that's right perhaps my problem will be fixed.

It would be nice if it could be configured to act differently, there may
be a way to configure it to do what you expect.

Yeah, edit d-bus rules. I'm not sure I want to be non-standard, better to find a standard that works for me, not against me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait