Re: Not To James B. Byrne

On 2014/11/15 08:28, Les Mikesell wrote:
On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Always Learning <centos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why keep masses and masses of irrelevant data in an unstructured format
presided over by Google?  Its not logical sense.  Essentially, why store
a lot of "rubbish" that will never ever be needed ?

Email is inherently unstructured and searches are over some set of
words that I happen to remember.   So you really need a full text
indexer which google happens to be very good at.  And the storage is
their problem...    Actually thunderbird is very nice at this too if
you do have your own copy - I don't remember if you have to enable
indexing or if it is the default now.

Why? Because keeping "masses of irrelevant data" takes none of my time and when I need to dig for something there are ways to do so that cost me little or no time. Storing the irrelevant data is cheap, my time isn't and I have very little time to spend on something like email. I converged on a solution that works for me and lets me do my job and take care of my family in a relatively efficient way. Sure there are all sorts of things I could do to be "better" but I have neither the time or resources to devote to making those happen. So I live with what I have.

Les, I believe TB does index by default. I recall seeing a setting for that someplace in the menus. Thunderbird's search is pretty good, pretty much like gmail's in fact.

Miranda