Re: Not To James B. Byrne

On 2014/11/14 11:32, Les Mikesell wrote:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata
<hawarden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you auto-mark as read, how do you ever know when it really is read?
I don't use the gmail interface for day-to-day email processing, for
precisely that reason. It is why I resort to TB.
I don't get it.  Why auto-mark read in the first place?
Marking it as read removes it from my gmail inbox for the times when I ~do~ need to read email using the gmail interface.
When I'm at work I read all
email with a work-centric focus.
I have a completely separate work account.  With its own restrictions
and retention policies.  It hasn't always been that way but it seems
easier now (someone else manages that server).
I could do that I suppose, but I haven't and probably wouldn't have the time necessary to separate out the emails between the two accounts. I already have 6+ email accounts that I have to monitor so I'd rather not fork off another if I can help it.
Which is handy when my email goes back
15+ years and google won't let me keep it all there without paying for it
which I'd rather not do.
I have 100+GB of google-space without paying extra, I think partly as
a side effect of the android phone I use. And I don't think there is
any time-related restriction.
It's not the time, just the byte volume. I get ~15GB of space for free per account, I think.
For the older email, those TB clients are the only
copies I have. Even though I have backups, I still do this because recovery
has been very quick this way (just replace the dead profile with the good
one).

And of course, when the apocalypse comes and gmail goes away, I'm all
prepared! [/joke]
I used to pull copies to my own server with fetchmail, and later
imap-synced with thunderbird (sometimes including the All Mail
folder).  But the computers that used to do that have all died of old
age so I gave up on being more reliable than google.   Besides, with
the work stuff in a separate account it is almost exclusively list
mail that could be found in public archives anyway.
The vast majority of my email unfortunately is not publicly archived, so I don't have that option.