[Centos] updates, announcement and this list

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 13:08 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> imho this list getting unusable! first of all there is an announce list
> for  announcement but it seems centos team don't use it and doesn't
> want. what's more if there is an update then we got about a dozen of
> messages about it since different arch and release have different mails.
> so it become a challange to find the "real" mails between announcements.
> it's a well known and accepted policy in all packages/distros that there
> is/are a different announce list(s) and those who are intrested about it
> subscribe to it. those who would like to read only the list subscribe
> only to the list and some people to both. it's not something new this is
> the way it's happend in the last 20-30 years even for one simple
> packages. why can't we follow this good schema? or at least try to do
> only ONE announcement per packages (like redhat do) and include all arch
> and release in it.
>
> just my 2c.

We have several different people doing several different distros all
over the world.  Some are going to be done before others.

When there is a security problem, I don't think that you want to wait
until the last distro is done to announce the problem ... or to upload
the files. (At least I certainly don't want to wait until the CentOS-3.x
S390x emulator is finished building a week after the update {or 12 hours
for daylight in Australia or in the USA, depending on when it is
announced} to release an announcement).

If we push the files and not the announcements, then people complain
that something is changed, but they don't know why.  If we don't push
the files and wait for the last distro to get done, people complain that
the updates take too long.

If we say we want an announce only list, people complain that it needs
to be in both places (main list and announce list).  If we put it in
both places, people complain that it need to be split.

bitch ... bitch ... bitch ... bitch ... bitch

I have already said that we are in the middle of moving all the mailing
lists to a centos.org domain (and splitting all other shared resources
with cAos) and pointed to the announcement.  The announce-list
_IS_NOT_ACTIVE_RIGHT_NOW_ ... it is not on the official CentOS.org
website, and has never been announced by a member of the CentOS
Development team.  Why is this so hard to understand?

I wish we had 1000 paid people to get things done right away ... and had
1000 machines of each type in a centralized place (where those 1000
people provided 24/7 support), so all updates could be built at the same
time and pushed at the same time.  We don't have either.  So, to get the
updates out in a timely fashion (by several people, all over the world),
they have to be done separately.  I am sorry if this is an
inconvenience.

These people are volunteers and are busting their ass to get these
updates and announcements built and out in a timely fashion so they can
be downloaded for free ... I am personally spending an average of 6
hours every day doing CentOS related activities, and I am sure others
are spending as much or more time.