[Centos] updates, announcement and this list

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 06:22 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> We have several different people doing several different distros all
> over the world.  Some are going to be done before others.
>
> When there is a security problem, I don't think that you want to wait
> until the last distro is done to announce the problem ... or to upload
> the files. (At least I certainly don't want to wait until the CentOS-3.x
> S390x emulator is finished building a week after the update {or 12 hours
> for daylight in Australia or in the USA, depending on when it is
> announced} to release an announcement).
>
> If we push the files and not the announcements, then people complain
> that something is changed, but they don't know why.  If we don't push
> the files and wait for the last distro to get done, people complain that
> the updates take too long.
>
> If we say we want an announce only list, people complain that it needs
> to be in both places (main list and announce list).  If we put it in
> both places, people complain that it need to be split.
>
> bitch ... bitch ... bitch ... bitch ... bitch
>
> I have already said that we are in the middle of moving all the mailing
> lists to a centos.org domain (and splitting all other shared resources
> with cAos) and pointed to the announcement.  The announce-list
> _IS_NOT_ACTIVE_RIGHT_NOW_ ... it is not on the official CentOS.org
> website, and has never been announced by a member of the CentOS
> Development team.  Why is this so hard to understand?
>
> I wish we had 1000 paid people to get things done right away ... and had
> 1000 machines of each type in a centralized place (where those 1000
> people provided 24/7 support), so all updates could be built at the same
> time and pushed at the same time.  We don't have either.  So, to get the
> updates out in a timely fashion (by several people, all over the world),
> they have to be done separately.  I am sorry if this is an
> inconvenience.
>
> These people are volunteers and are busting their ass to get these
> updates and announcements built and out in a timely fashion so they can
> be downloaded for free ... I am personally spending an average of 6
> hours every day doing CentOS related activities, and I am sure others
> are spending as much or more time.

I'll apologize for the above comments ... we are working to split out an
announce list and stand up a new mailman server.  Expect an announcement
soon concerning the new list addresses and the new announce list.

That said, regardless of how we setup the new lists, everyone is not
going to be happy.

Please understand that we are trying to do these things as fast as
possible and that this is a community / volunteer (and not a paid /
supported) project.