[Centos] Some newbie (straightforward) questions especially regarding KDE and packages :)

> 1) The machine I installed CentOS (v4.0, including the updates) on
> automatically starts up in KDE. Is there a quick and easy way to switch
> (upon start up time) to booting in terminal mode?

change the id:5:initlevel to id:3:... in /etc/inittab

> 2) Being in web development, the applications I make have to be tested
> against Internet Explorer as well (ideally the Windows versions), is
> there a (pretty much 1-on-1) port of IE for KDE?

as far as I know IE is only available for windows and mac, so nothing for
linux, period.  You can of course trying running all of windows in an
emulator (wine, qemu, bochs, wvware, etc...) or possibly (which IMHO works
better) use vnc and have windows booted on a remote machine...

(actually I'd say skil developing for IE and force users to upgrade but
you wouldn't like that answer)

> 3) I'm considering ditching Windows XP altogether, but for the same
> reasons as mentioned under nr. 2 it would be handy to be able to run
> some Windows applications. Is there a VMWare (or other Virtual Machine)
> version for KDE/CentOS that can be installed for free, and that can
> handle Windows XP/2K installations?

no idea, vmware does work afaik and I think it's free if not commercial.
You have to remember that KDE is just the window manager - underneath it
all is X11 so any X app for linux work

> 4) An easy question: how can I best search in the set of available
> packages? Is there a special tool under KDE that allows one to browse
> the available packages, and/or search them?

personally I use "yum list | grep something" and google :)
I do believe there are some graphical package managers but never really
liked any of them (last tried a few years ago though...)

> That's it for now, it probably looks rather funny to be seeing such
> novice questions over here, but it's just that I'd like to get some
> quick pointers as to how to set this up using KDE rather than the good
> 'ole hard-core terminal way. ;)
> BTW: I'll do some RTFM-ing as well, of course, it's just that I've been
> given little time to set this machine up, so some help to get me quickly
> in the right direction would be very much appreciated...
>
> I hope anyone can give some quick pointers, and thanks for your time!

Cheers,
MaZe.