[Centos] Some newbie (straightforward) questions especially regarding KDE and packages :)

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 16:17 +0100, Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to CentOS and also to KDE, and I find myself with little time to
> get acquinted with it well, so I'm hoping someone can give me some quick
> pointers for some (surely) really basic matters. I hope the questions
> I'm about to ask are not too much 'dead horse flogging', but if so,
> perhaps someone can point me to a good FAQ. :)
----
OK - start here...

and then here
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/>
----

> Having said that, I'll briefly state my background: I'm a developer
> (mainly web applications), and my own server runs FreeBSD 5.2.1. I'd say
> I have rather advanced (though not guru level) administration knowledge
> of FreeBSD, but the same does not apply (yet) to Linux, and then in
> particular versions running KDE. On Unix systems I'm most comfortable
> working in terminal mode and vi, but I'd like to get to know KDE as
> well. BTW: A week or two ago, I configured an RHEL machine as a web
> server, so I do know the concepts of up2date and the channels etc.
----
you might find yum or even 'smart' more to your liking
----

> Then, the questions for now:
>
> 1) The machine I installed CentOS (v4.0, including the updates) on
> automatically starts up in KDE. Is there a quick and easy way to switch
> (upon start up time) to booting in terminal mode?
----
already answered
----

> 2) Being in web development, the applications I make have to be tested
> against Internet Explorer as well (ideally the Windows versions), is
> there a (pretty much 1-on-1) port of IE for KDE?
----
rumor has it that on April 1st - Microsoft will release the source code
for everything.

are you serious?
----

> 4) An easy question: how can I best search in the set of available
> packages? Is there a special tool under KDE that allows one to browse
> the available packages, and/or search them?
----
see above 'smart'
----

> BTW: I'll do some RTFM-ing as well, of course, it's just that I've been
> given little time to set this machine up, so some help to get me quickly
> in the right direction would be very much appreciated...
----
rtfm is a good start

Craig