[Centos] Some newbie (straightforward) questions especially regarding KDE and packages :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the answers, these were indeed exactly the pointers I was
looking for.

> change the id:5:initlevel to id:3:... in /etc/inittab

Excellent! That's it; works nicely recognisable now ;)

>>2) Being in web development, the applications I make have to be tested
>>against Internet Explorer as well (ideally the Windows versions), is
>>there a (pretty much 1-on-1) port of IE for KDE?
>

> (actually I'd say skil developing for IE and force users to upgrade but
> you wouldn't like that answer)

Well, as in my case the 'end users' comprise the entire Internet, indeed
I'll have to think of something else instead of suggesting all of them
to go Firefox... ;)

Either way: I already feared there wouldn't be a good IE port (MS could
well be digging their own grave by making one), yet it's good to know
for sure. Firefox is much nicer anyway, but as still some 98% of the
Internet runs PC/IE, it is something we have to develop for....

>>3) I'm considering ditching Windows XP altogether, but for the same
>>reasons as mentioned under nr. 2 it would be handy to be able to run
>>some Windows applications. Is there a VMWare (or other Virtual Machine)
>>version for KDE/CentOS that can be installed for free, and that can
>>handle Windows XP/2K installations?
>

> no idea, vmware does work afaik and I think it's free if not commercial.
> You have to remember that KDE is just the window manager - underneath it
> all is X11 so any X app for linux work

O.k., thanks, I'll take a look-see.

Cheers!
Olafo