[Centos] Some newbie (straightforward) questions especially regarding KDE and packages :)

Hi Olaf,

Olaf Greve wrote:
> Then, the questions for now:
>
> 1) The machine I installed CentOS (v4.0, including the updates) on
> automatically starts up in KDE. Is there a quick and easy way to switch
> (upon start up time) to booting in terminal mode?

If you want your machine to boot up in 'terminal' mode, you'll need to
change the default run level to '3' (level 5, which you're probably at
is what level the GUI loads on start). Open up /etc/initttab and find a
few lines like so:

# The default runlevel is defined here
id:5:initdefault:

Change that 5 to a 3 and the next time you boot up, it'll start up
without a GUI

> 2) Being in web development, the applications I make have to be tested
> against Internet Explorer as well (ideally the Windows versions), is
> there a (pretty much 1-on-1) port of IE for KDE?

Other than an old solaris port, I'm not aware of any IE ports to
Unix/Linux or KDE

> 3) I'm considering ditching Windows XP altogether, but for the same
> reasons as mentioned under nr. 2 it would be handy to be able to run
> some Windows applications. Is there a VMWare (or other Virtual Machine)
> version for KDE/CentOS that can be installed for free, and that can
> handle Windows XP/2K installations?

I'm not aware of any virtual machines that allow you to run windows or
other OS's that are free.

HTH!

Dan