[Centos] Upgrading from RH8.0 - to do or not to do?????

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 16:53 -0600, Scott Heisler wrote:
> I have a server and I'd love to upgrade to Centos.  It's not totally
> custom but does have a working 3ware array.  The hardware is rock solid.
> Is it smart to do an "upgrade" using YUM or do I really need to do a
> clean install.  I have about 60 users on this box along with about 30
> shares.  Re-Doing this would not be much fun.
>
> Before I make a recommendation to the client, I thought I would get all
> of your opinions on an upgrade vs. new install.  Normally, I much prefer
> new installs... However with the amount of work required here and the
> probability of a mistake, I thought I would consider an actual upgrade
> instead.

If you do an upgrade, an anaconda "upgradeany" approach would be far
better than attempting it with yum - kernel, selinux, and perhaps
filesystems, would be highly problematic.  I'd try installing on a new
disk, or on alternate partitions, with potential to boot back to the old
system, then migrating system settings and user information.  Also,
expect a lot of user stuff to break with new Gnome/KDE/...

See message below for some additional thoughts.

Good luck,
Phil