[Centos] Upgrading from RH8.0 - to do or not to do?????

I have a server and I'd love to upgrade to Centos.  It's not totally
custom but does have a working 3ware array.  The hardware is rock solid.
Is it smart to do an "upgrade" using YUM or do I really need to do a
clean install.  I have about 60 users on this box along with about 30
shares.  Re-Doing this would not be much fun.

Before I make a recommendation to the client, I thought I would get all
of your opinions on an upgrade vs. new install.  Normally, I much prefer
new installs... However with the amount of work required here and the
probability of a mistake, I thought I would consider an actual upgrade
instead.

Thanks.

Scott