[Centos] fsck -Broke?

Hello CentOS,

I've had cause to upgrade some 3.x machines that had a few ext2
partitions to ext3 (long story).  Anyway, did the tune2fs -j /foo and
the journal is created.  changed fstab to ext3

Ok, that's fine.  But in a couple cases, the machine was to be
rebooted in the 300day uptime range.  upon reboot, the machine stated
that /foo was due for an fsck.  Well, fsck sat there twiddling it's
thumbs indefinitely.  I had to reboot to CDROM, and fsck from linux
rescue (which had no troubles).  Then once fsck'd exit and reboot went
fine.

Is this a problem with fsck, or ?  I've never known fsck to hang
before.  It usually does it's job or spits out an error.

Of course, now that I know that, for most partitions I can unmount and
fsck before rebooting.  sigh

--
Best regards,
 Mickael