[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 16:02 +0200, Carlos Manuel Duclos Vergara wrote:

> > > Now that I reread this, shouldn't it be the other way around? I mean,
> > > if you are LSB 3.2 certified for sure you are CGL, but if you are CGL
> > > then by definition you do not fulfill LSB 3.2 requirements....
> >

> > How do you mean?  Since the CGL LSB profile would define a more limited
> > set of the overall LSB profile (that is, certifying your application
> > with the CGL LSB profile means you are LSB without any GUI) wouldn't
> > that mean that by definition passing the larger set of LSB features
> > would be a cake-walk?
> >

> Maybe, but by definition if the CGL standard does not include everything that LSB
> includes then you cannot be LSB certified if you are only CGL certified. On the
> other hand, if you are LSB certified, since CGL is a subset of LSB then you are
> also fulfilling the requirements for CGL when you certify for LSB.
> It might be easy to jump from CGL to LSB but you cannot tell it or assume it
> just because you pass the CGL certification, that's why I said that if you
> certify for CGL then you are not automatically LSB compliant.

I still don't quite follow.  Looking at it from an ISV perspective, this
is my understanding.

ApplicationSoft has some Linux application for doing, say, network
management.  The application is command line only and they want to be
able to break into the market by getting their manager used on as many
Linux installations as possible.  So they code it up relying only on the
LSB spec.  So they look at all distributions that have LSB
certifications and they're reasonably confident that they can then claim
their application runs on all those distributions.

But if their application has a GUI and therefore depends on X and/or GTK
+ and/or QT, then it won't necessarily run on a CGL LSB certified
platform.

If, on the other hand, they coded it up depending on the CGL LSB
profile, they could look at any distribution that was certified CGL LSB
and reasonably claim it worked there as well as reasonably claiming it
works on all LSB distributions since those distributions would include
everything in the CGL LSB profile as well as GTK+ and QT.

Or am I in need of more coffee this morning?  That's always a
possibility.

Joe MacDonald, Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct 613.270.5750  mobile 613.291.7421  fax 613.592.2283