LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

I've covered this verbally with many folks, but I'd like to officially
propose to the list an LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile.  This is an
additional certification profile exactly equal to LSB 3.2, except that
no tests need be passed from the X, qt, or gtk libraries.  The only
distributions that may be certified as LSB 3.2 Embedded are those that
ship neither the qt nor gtk libraries.  I.e., enterprise distros need
to pass the regular the LSB 3.2 certification.

The purpose of this new profile is for Carrier Grade Linux
distributions, which are required to pass the LSB as part of
registering as CGL 4.0 compliant.  Otherwise, they are forced to
register under LSB 3.0, which is the last version of the LSB without
the graphics libraries.  The LF would like to only have to actively
maintain the LSB 3.2 test infrastructure, plus the LSB 4.0 tools
currently under development.  Plus, there were a significant number of
bugs fixed between LSB 3.0 and LSB 3.2, and 3.2 is able to make use of
the dramatic improvement in test infrastructure.

For now, LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile Certifications can use the existing
Distribution Testkit Manager, and just request waivers on all
graphical libraries.  In the future, we'll update those tools to
choose between 3.2 regular and 3.2 Embedded Certification.  The LF is
also very open to creating new profiles to match up to the libraries
in the current mobile initiatives, including LiMo, Android, and
Moblin.

Thanks.

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan at dankohn.com>
COO, The Linux Foundation <http://www.linux-foundation.org>

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [Asterisk PBX]