Fwd: LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

Dan,

We have registered for 4.0 as well a few weeks back - here are PTI's
comments to your questions:

+ Is the name "LSB 3.2 CGL Profile" OK, as using the term embedded
confuses some folks?

Dropping the "Embedded" is fine. The overall distribution is considered
embedded  by our customers!

+ Do the distros that you're LSB 4.0 registering include qt and gtk
today?  If so, you wouldn't be able to certify under this profile.
Could you please confirm that you're shipping non-GUI distros today.

Our default installation does not include any graphics libs. As Ted said
in an earlier email, the majority of our customers are looking for
compact, non-graphics images. But, we do provide qt/gtk as an optional
module. Their decision, after first install. Some of our embedded programs
are for things like signaling gateways, security nodes, etc. - typically
CLI and web type interfaces. But, even some of our tools are built using
gtk so - we figured some folks might also want to do this... I don't
believe this circumvents the LSB profile idea.

+ Could you please list some of the most important closed source
applications that run on your CGL distros today?  We would like to
pull them into the LSB process and convince them of the value of LSB
certifying.

Since we focus on CompactPCI and MicroTCA hardware platforms (larger then
Ted's Sony Reader but smaller then a Enterprise Server), most closed
source applications are communications widgets. Examples of applications
running on our CGL 3.2 and now 4.0 distributions would be gateways, in
some cases using closed source framework and protocols such as SS7,M2UA,
X.25, SIP etc. Our customers call.

Thanks
John Grana
jjg at pt.com