Re: Grants for developing accessible software

The silent track list is the only problem I have with Audacity, but that
problem is not specific to Linux,, or at least it wasn't about 15 or so
years ago. The problem is still present on Linux now, but I haven't used
it anywhere else since about 2009 or 2010, when I used it on XP like
once. The good news is that the tracks are listed in the order they were
recorded, so I have successfully added an effect for example to the
right track just by counting them from the  top. The  other thing I was
able to do was to split a stereo track into its two channels and
effectively move the sound by changing the volume of one of the tracks,
then I rejoined the two tracks, all without being able to hear any names
or labels. No, it's not at all ideal, but it definitely works.

One of the theoretical causes of this problem is the fact that Audacity
ships its own versions of wxgtk and other libraries, which it integrates
very deeply into the code. From all I read of it, Tenacity should be
fixing this if they haven't already done so, so the standard library is
supposed to work as expected, and any bugs can be worked out in the
system library or in the Tenacity code. One thing that would definitely
help us out a bit though it to get a digital audio workstation to work
with Orca or similar. This would make things much easier for me to do
more complex things with audio without having to use BandLab or another
web--based solution. But for now, the combination of Audacity/Tenacity
and BandLab work pretty well for me, as what one can't do the other
fills in well enough.

~Kyle