Re: Grants for developing accessible software

Harley Richardson wrote:
> The idea of TUI software is nice, but it has to
> be written a certain way for Orca and other screen readers to correctly
> determine where focus is and announce state changes. Highlight tracking
> fixes some things, but not all.

Hi Harley,

Thanks for your reply.

Up to now I don't have experience programming to especially
to support Orca users. Happy to learn more about it.

For Nama, I've used the console model: commands are typed at
a prompt, command output follows, after which the command
prompt is printed.  The prompt includes the project name and
selected track that commands are applied to.

That works for a braille display user and I've heard for
text-to-speech to speech as well.

There are a few other situations--such as adjusting effect
parameters or adjusting the playback position--where typing
a command is cumbersome. For that there is a 'hotkey mode'
in which keys are mapped directly to a command, and the
bottom line of the screen is rewritten with the updated value.

cheers to all

--
Joel Roth