Re: solving missing ptr record issues?

john doe' via blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx alitoa mmaoni:
What are you talking about, we have no context.

If you are unable to help, just say so. I have enough context and
understanding of the subject matter to answer the question.

Most receiving mail transport agents reject messages from sending
addresses that don't pass a reverse DNS check,, meaning that they look
back at the DNS IP for the domain portion of the email address to be
sure that the IP points back to a domain. It doesn't need to be the same
domain, but it has to point back to a domain of some kind, which is then
checked against the SPF on the domain portion of the sending address to
be sure that the sending machine is allowed to send from that address.
In the case of shellworld.net,

host shellworld.net

shellworld.net has address 50.116.47.71

shellworld.net mail is handled by 10
mx.shellworld.net.cust.b.hostedemail.com/

Actually, that mx one is the one we're checking.

host mx.shellworld.net.cust.b.hostedemail.com

mx.shellworld.net.cust.b.hostedemail.com has address 64.98.38.4

4.38.98.64.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mx.b.hostedemail.com

Actually looks right to me. But just for grins:

host 50.116.47.71

71.47.116.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer users.shellworld.net

OK I'm out. Sorry, I can't help, as everything here looks right. You
should be able to send mail, and the recipient shouldn't be complaining
about PTR records or reverse DNS. But it could be the SPF on
shellworld.net, which needs to allow mail from
mx.shellworld.net.cust.hostedemail.com.

dit +short shellworld.net in TXT

"v=spf1 a:shellworld.net services.shellworld.net mx:shellworld.net
a:atlas.bondproducts.com a:forward.b.hostedemail.com
include:_spf.hostedemail.com ~all"

Yes, this is also looking right. No problems from my checks, so I really
am out this time. Sorry I couldn't be of any further assistance.

~Kyle

Imetumwa kutoka mikono yangu