Re: Twitter alternatives for the blind community?

Le 30/01/2023 à 02:31, Karen a wrot :
> Hi,
> Fine description.
> But my speech is hardware entirely, with no known drivers written to support
> the synthesizer..or not for Linux
> given  this topic started with Orca as the solution, such is even less likely to
> exist.
> Karen

Karen,

In another message you wrote:
> I am not using Linux at all.

Then How do you know that the voices used by Orca hurt you, as Orca works only
on Linux? Maybe other voices than the ones you tried would not hurt you? That's
a speculation, I am not telling you to use another system than the one you are
comfortable with.

A hardware synthesizer can't be used with Orca so far, however maybe this could
change in the future as Samuel Thibault wrote recently on the orca mailing list by:

Le 18/01/2023 à 23:26, Samuel Thibault wrote :
> Al Sten-Clanton, le mer. 18 janv. 2023 14:42:56 -0500, a ecrit:
>> Is there a way to use Orca with either the TripleTalk LT or DecTalk
>> Express?  If there is, how would I do it or what documents should I look to
>> for that information?
>
> I'm not aware of a way to do it currently, I have added an issue in
> speech-dispatcher:
> https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues/807

As an aside, at least some hard synthesizers can be used on Linux, but only in
console (not graphical) mode so far. Al uses the ones he mentioned on Slint and
maybe other Linux distributions. If you indicate the brand and model of the hard
synthesizer(s) you use, we could check if they can be handled by a speakup
driver on linux. But only if you are interested, of course.

PS to all: sorry for the off-topic.

Cheers,
Didier