Re: Snap, Flatpak and/or AppImages?

Of course another sort of distribution format that needs more attention is applications that are written in Go. These are statically linked binaries by default, and once written, they just run on any machine of the same architecture where they were built. I once installed doctl, the DigitalOcean control application, onto a 64-bit ARM-based Odroid N2 computer running ArchLinuxARM and then just copied the doctl binary and my configuration to my ARM-based router running OpenWRT, and everything worked as expected. Interestingly, the FreePascal compiler fpc gave me the same result, but the program I wrote that worked was much smaller and less complex. But having said all this, static linking is one fairly good way to distribute portable applications without too much packaging hassle.

~Kyle