Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

All of this criticicism of Speakup, however valid, avoids the fact that Speakup has nonetheless been available as a staging module with Debian, for example, as well as Arch, if I'm not mistaken. It is not available with Fedora. It then became unavailable even from rpmfusion, and I've not heard that it has returned. I take this to mean that Fedora has been less interested than other distros in acessibility in a very basic Linux thing, the text console.

I also find it a lot harder to get at Fedora documentation than I do getting Debian or Arch documentation. I follow the document link and can't find actual documents. I tried on Sunday. I think I had to use Google to find some, which is bizarre. I couldn't even get to them using the key for simulating mouseclicks! I assume you can get to them somehow from there, but I haven't found it and I suspect it's an accessibility matter. There much easier to find from the Debian or Arch homepage, and maybe from the homepages of other distros as well. (I haven't looked lately.)

Third, although this may be a weaker point, minimalizing the text installer is another blow to accessibility. I know blind folks have used the graphical one, but at least some of them found it troublesome.

Now, there are things I like about Fedora. Although I technically started with Debian, but I pretty much started with the speakup-modified version of Fedora 4. I used it a lot, along with GRML and a couple of others. I like rmp and yum/dnf. I'd be a mighty grateful and happy camper if Fedora became fully accessible, and might jump from whatever distro I use at that time to give it a shot. But I don't think the complaints about speakup justify its absence there, or that accessibility is high enough on its priority list.

Best.

Al