Re: How did people here learn GUIs

In that process, I also learned jaws for windows at the same time. On Mon, 18 Jul 2016, Sam Hartman wrote:

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:47:51
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans@xxxxxxx>
To: Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How did people here learn GUIs

"Cheryl" == Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

   Cheryl> But my experiences with all three gui systems - linux, Mac
   Cheryl> and Windows - are each quite different from each other in a
   Cheryl> lot of ways. On the one hand, I don't think learning one
   Cheryl> helps a lot with the others as far as screenreader and
   Cheryl> layout goes but on the other hand I don't recall ever
   Cheryl> getting confused between how to work on each of the three.

For me, Mac really helped learn Windows 2000.  At least once I Figured
out that  unlike JAWS for DOS, alt brought up the menu bar rather than
silencing speech.  O, that was so frustrating.

I've found that Gnome3 and modern Mac seem to have a lot in common and I
find that one helped me with the other.  Not so much in screen reader
usage, but in terms of knowing what to expect where and how to find
things.

I also think windows 8 feels a lot more Mac/Gnome like than say Windows
7.
Windows 8 did take a bit to get used to.

--Sam