Re: removing speakup from memory?

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 07:36:55PM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> wait.
> why would the system create elements tied to those not actually using the
> system?
> Forgive my lack of information here, but would that not be a security risk?
> If they were not created by me, who would create them?
> I have no means for typing that command, but I am curious about the concept.
> Karen

Different users can own their own files and directories
That is a key part of the Unix security model.

The operating system needs some user IDs of its own for the
processes it runs, for example to deliver mail
or respond to requests for web pages.

So, when you look in any /etc/passwd, you will see users
that belong to specific services that are installed
by default on your system.

For security, many of the user accounts, such as 'mail' and
'nobody' prohibit the user to log in, no access by password.

The concepts of users, groups, directories, subdirectories,
file ownership and permissions are innovations in computer
science that have stood the test of time. It starts simple,
and there are many subtleties. Even if you don't uses these
facilities deliberately, in order to be able to administer
your system, it is helpful to be minimally familiar with the
basic model.

Up to now I've found time invested very rewarding, and
there are excellent written tutorials to get started.

This learning will also go with you, if you change to
another unixlike operating system.

Wish you happy exploring!

Joel

Joel Roth