getting rid of windows viruses

My laptop, on which I do all my java devellopment work for school, has come
down with a virus dispite my installing a virus checker.
A sighted friend of mine used to work at a store that had a cd you could
boot which contained linux.  That cd could check windows machines for
viruses, and clean them if necissary.  Does anyone know if there is an easy
way for me to do something like this? I have a dectalk I could hook to the
laptop.
What tools would I need to accomplish this?