Apple is looking for a Screen Reader Engineer

>To: blindprogramming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: "pkburke24" <pburke@xxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:34:13 -0000
>Subject: Apple is looking for a Screen Reader Engineer
>I'll apologize in advance if this message isn't quite right for this forum.
>
>My name is Patrick Burke, and I'm trying to fill a software developer
position to help
>architect a screen reader for OS X.  We are looking for expertise in the
accessibility
>area, preferably in the screen reader area of course.  It's a great chance
for someone
>to come in on the absolute ground floor to build this screen reader to
help make the
>Macintosh available to the visually impaired.
>
>If you know of anyone I could talk to about this opportunity, I'd love to
hear about it.
>You can reach me at the contact information below.  Any help you can give
to open up
>a new operating system to the blind community will benefit a lot of
people.  Thanks.

>-- Patrick
>
>Screen Reader Engineer
>
>Do you want to join the team that develops the Mac OS X software and
applications?
>Do you want to work on a brand new application for Mac OS X?  Have you been
>looking for a challenging new project to work on?  If so, then this is the
group for you.

>We are looking for a Software developer responsible for the design,
implementation
>and testing of a Screen Reader application on Mac OS X that needs to be
built from
>scratch.  The application will convert all on-screen data (text, objects
and controls) to
>speech or braille enabling a blind or partially signed user to use a Mac.
The
>application will utilize various technologies in the OS including
accessibility, speech,
>web browsers and text.  As part of developing the screen reader
application, the
>engineer is responsible for communicating and driving new APIs in other
parts of the
>OS required to develop the application.
>
>We're looking for a strong software engineer with experience developing
accessibility/
>assistive technology applications such as a screen reader or magnifier.
Mac OS X
>experience is not required with this expertise.
>
>Required Experience:
>* BSCS or equivalent.
>* 4-10 years experience in developing complicated applications for
accessibility
>technology or OS X (strong preference for screen reader development
experience).
>* A strong C, C++ developer on Mac, Unix, or Windows.
>* Strong design skills of applications.
>* Strong debugging skills.
>* Strong communication skills.
>* Track record of innovation and excellence in earlier assignments.
>
>Preferred Experience:
>* Knowledge of accessibility APIs and requirements is a plus.
>* Familiarity with the Cocoa and/or Project Builder.
>

>_________________________________
>
>Patrick Burke
>Apple Computer
>Office:  408-974-9037
>Cell:  408-621-0936
>pburke@xxxxxxxxx

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.