Re: debian install

Hi:
On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:14:21PM -0400, awesome-dave1@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> 	I have a test box for a few days and was thinking of trying debian.
> I've never tried this distro and i've heard it is quite good.
Debian is GREAT once it is installed, (a simple command and hops! package
installed with dependencies), but Debian may be hard for a beginner (lot of
things to do after install, many little configs to do by hand to fine-tune
it; but a greater pleasure when ready!)

> i have not been able to find an iso.
Use the Mini Woody ISO:
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.iso (only 186mb)
This is the Stable Deb.

Then download and unpack to a floppy a static brltty for you specific
braille display; ready-to-use bins are here:
http://brlstatx.brlspeak.net/
(the tgz-compressed files may be uncompressed from W$ or from DOS,
see links at the site if you need some tar or gunzip or so).

Finally read this doc to know how to get quickly and easily started:
http://www.ael.be/~olr/brlstatx/xtra/brlstatx-howto.txt

This is One Of different ways to proceed!

Important: the mini Woody iso only use the bf2.4 kernel, maybe don't forget
before rebooting the system for the first Deb session to pass this kernel
parameter in the appropriate section in the installer menu:
video=vga16:off
This is a boot param for the kernel.
Also, temporarily drop brltty to /target/root so that when rebooting and
logging in you may be able to open alt+f2  root  'enter'  and type
./brltty  'enter'  to get braille, before going back to alt+f1 and
proceeding with the base-config.

Enjoy!

Osvaldo.