Re: serial installation of Redhat 9.0

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Rafael Skodlar wrote:

> and add a line
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty /dev/ttyS0

>From the mingetty man page:

   mingetty  is  a  minimal  getty  for  use  on
   virtual consoles.  Unlike agetty(8), mingetty
   is not suitable  for  serial  lines.   I
   recommend using mgetty(8) for this purpose.

I have used this line in the past:
S1:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty ttyS1
or similarly for com1:
S0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty ttyS0

If unused, add lines for both ports, to ease
testing.

But some of the configuration (for speed, etc) was
in mgetty's own config files.  From an old config
file (old version of mgetty, too),
/etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config:

port ttyS1
        direct y
        term vt102
        speed 38400
# Make sure no escape sequences from vendor issue
# files will interfere with the prompt bell (\g):
        issue-file \n\P @ \C
        login-prompt login: \g
  toggle-dtr n

Note that I told the config that you are using a
vt102: you can configure for almost any terminal
your other end supports.  Check the man pages to
make sure all that stuff is right for your
situation: it's been years since I used this.

After you log in, do:
echo $TERM
to make sure your terminal type is set to vt102,
or whatever you are using on the other end.  If
needed, you can add a line to your shell startup
files to make it do the right thing:
export TERM=vt102

Make sure you are using a standard "null modem" cable.
There is a serial HOWTO with more detail and
resources, for varied situations.

> to enable terminal access. I haven't tested this
> but believe it should work.

> I'm not familar with other stuff though.

See some comments below, for what little I know:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 03:28:25PM +0400, Sergey Fleytin wrote:

[ explanation of common remote serial installation
scenario deleted]
> > these 2 types of terminals (VT100 and VT102)
> > emulation where emulation of VT100 is required
> > will it work?

Yes, as stated by others, but the mismatch is
completely unnecessary: linux can work with
virtually any terminal, real or emulated, if
configured for that terminal.  There are even
terminal descriptions (terminfo files) for stupid
terminal emulations that are badly broken, that
compensate for the bad behavior.  For instance,
if I remember correctly, there are several
terminfo files for flaky vt100 emulations.

> > Another question: has anyone tried installing
> > redhat 9.0 using jaws and windows terminal
> > emulators such as hyperterminal or crt? Wich

Based on past threads on this list (see the
archives) this is not really unusual.

> > problems may accur during such installation?
> >
> > And finally, is it possible to get output over
> > serial port from already installed redhat
> > system? Which command shall i issue to get
> > such an output?

See about adding a line as above to /etc/inittab.
But be very careful: this is perhaps the most
sensitive config file on the system, because it
controls the init process, which is the mother of
all other processes on the system, and an error
could make your system unbootable, though if you
make sure to only add a getty line at the end,
that should be unlikely.  Make a copy of the
original first, to say, /etc/inittab.safe.
Your changes will take effect after you do:
telinit q
to signal the init program to re-read it's config
file (rebooting is almost never necessary on linux
systems for stuff like this, unlike in windoze).

> > A private response to these questions will be
> > highly appreciated. If anyone can and wishh to
> > help me in these matters, please send your
> > messages to this address:

These are issues of interest to other users, and
fully on topic, so private messaging would be at
cross purposes to the list.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is
award winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds
your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html