yasr and Dectalk Express

I just installed yasr 0.6.4  and tried to run it
with my Dectalk Express external over ttyS0.

I am getting occasional sporadic utterances from the Dectalk. Enough  to let
me know the software and the synth are trying to work together,
but not succeeding very well.  Mostly the Dectalk is silent unless
I power cycle it. Then it may drone on for several minutes,
speaking whatever filled its buffer during my most recent  key presses.
This can include the top line of a one line test file followed by
twenty three tildess.

Has anyone had better success with this combination? If so, how did
you achieve it?

Thanks,
Rudy