Re: Conversing Over LAN

Norman and Others,

Thanks for the info. I want to tell Rudy that I do have a cochlear
implant, but I can't understand speech, though it is very good for
environmental sounds. Apparently I don't have either talkd or internetd
running. In fact, my Redhat installation doesn't even seem to have
telnetd. Where can I get it from? Write works fine. Most of the machines
here run Windows, which does have a telnet client, so I think the first
step would be to get telnetd running on my machine? How do I do this?

Thanks,
John
 On
Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Norman B. Robinson wrote:

> Well, if you can run your own talk server can they use the talk command
> to contact you? (if they are running linux they should have it available)
>
> If they are using Windows you might consider something like the Yahoo
> Instant Messenger (or better yet GAIM as it works with multiple internet
> messengers)
>
> Information about talkd can be found at:
> http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/talkd8.html
> or use your local "man talkd" command.
>
> GAIM can be found at:
> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
>
> Yahoo! IM can be found at:
> http://messenger.yahoo.com/
>
> Be well,
>
> Norman
>
> John J. Boyer wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am deaf-blind and use my computer to communicate with others in my
> >organization. Normally, people can type on the computer keyboard while I
> >am running a text editor such as nano and what they type appears
> >immediately on my braille display through brltty. I can also type on my
> >braille Lite and it appears immediately on the screen. However, my office
> >is on the second floor and we have some people in wheelchairs. It would be
> >very nice if they could communicate in the same way from their computers
> >over our LAN. I could set up an account on my machine and they could
> >telnet to it, but how would I know what they are typing, and how would
> >they receive what I type? Is there a program that root can use to see a
> >user's screen and type onto it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >John

Computers to Help People, Inc.