Re: Conversing Over LAN

Well, if you can run your own talk server can they use the talk command to contact you? (if they are running linux they should have it available)

If they are using Windows you might consider something like the Yahoo Instant Messenger (or better yet GAIM as it works with multiple internet messengers)

Information about talkd can be found at:
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/talkd8.html
or use your local "man talkd" command.

GAIM can be found at:
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Yahoo! IM can be found at:
http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Be well,

Norman

John J. Boyer wrote:

Hello,

I am deaf-blind and use my computer to communicate with others in my organization. Normally, people can type on the computer keyboard while I am running a text editor such as nano and what they type appears immediately on my braille display through brltty. I can also type on my braille Lite and it appears immediately on the screen. However, my office is on the second floor and we have some people in wheelchairs. It would be very nice if they could communicate in the same way from their computers over our LAN. I could set up an account on my machine and they could telnet to it, but how would I know what they are typing, and how would they receive what I type? Is there a program that root can use to see a user's screen and type onto it?

Thanks,
John