megadots file attachments in mutt

When I receive a .meg file from somebody, it is shown as an application/octet steam; Mutt says it's encoding it to printable, quoted but then you have to use the v command to view.
I just tried sending out a .meg file and when i added it as an attachment it said it was 8-bit, unknown and when it came back to me (I had it sent to me)( the attachment was right there as part of the message.
Can anybody tell me the best way to send megaDots .meg files as attachments?
Thanks.

Cheryl